•   almost 8 years ago

DevCup submission video?

Could someone please elaborate on the video for the submission? Is it limited to 2 minutes? Should it be just a description for judges or a "getting started" demo or something else?

Would really appreciate some info here as I am ready to submit our app but am kind of stuck with this the video production.

-Alexey

• 10 comments

•   •   almost 8 years ago

This has been a hurdle for me to. Here is my contribution:
    1) The rules say 3m max for the video (para 7.5) although I too saw mention of 2m. Mine ended up at 2'20". Oh, yeah, they also say nothing smutty.
    2) I took the perspective of a sales pitch: Problem/pain -> Solution, then the theory behind it, then how it works (demo). This is similar to the Why (on Earth should I be interested)? -> What (is it)? -> How (do I use it)?. In other words: a description for judges AND a demo.
    3) My first efforts were way too long. I took a look at the Evernote videos (eg for Evernote Hello) and borrowed a lot from their structure - particularly the pace... it changes every 5s and really moves along quickly.
    4) I also did some 'me on camera' but it was pretty boring so I fired me and did some powerpoint animations.
    5) I used Camtasia (30 day trial) for the screen capture, narration and editing (also does Picture in Picture but I didn't use it)
    6) I wrote a script, then designed the visuals (slideshows, demos), then recorded the narration, then recorded the visuals. Camtasia can speed up video or extend frames so you can fit the visuals to the narration.
    7) Take heart from some of last years finalists: Bloke clicks on icon, shows app and ad-libs for 2m with PiP. No sweat.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Hi Martin, thank you. I also spent the weekend trying different approaches and ended up doing something similar to what you suggest: 2min, start with a couple of slides, then demo. On mac ScreenFlow app is really great.

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

Take are look at the Devcup submissions section to get a sense at what other developers are doing for their videos: http://devcup.evernote.com/submissions

Good luck -- one week left!

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Thanks, that gives me a really good idea. Need to change a few things to fit the format better ...

•   •   almost 8 years ago

We made a quite experimentative Video including the cooking of a steak... it evolved from a screencast to this state. An example story how you can use the app sure helps. I think that telling a creative story in a video always helps, but we will see...
    Anyway, I hope that the 2 or 3 minutes is not superstrict, because in the rules it was 3 and now its two...

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I still read it as "The video should be no longer than three minutes" in the rules. Where do you see it being two instead of three now?

•   •   almost 8 years ago

It's just in the "final week update" there was this:

Video Overview: A YouTube or Vimeo movie that provides an explanation of how your app/service works and shows the functionality that it provides. Consider this your 2 minute or less pitch.

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

We say to "consider it a 2 minute pitch" - which implies that concise is always ideal. I'm not disqualifying someone if they go over the 2 minutes but just like in real life, a concise engaging clip will trump a longer one.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Can't wait to see mine up there.

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

@Lillie S us either ;) See my post in the other thread. Good luck all!

Comments are closed.